Thursday, June 3, 2010

Starting To Feel At Home


Well, I've now been here for several days. This morning I got up early to go to the SuperSol for challah and other Shabbat goodies. As I was walking to the market, it suddenly dawned on me that I am actually living in Jerusalem! I don't think that it had sunken in until that moment.

It has been a rough few days. I miss Sheldon, the boys and Steph immensely but am grateful to Skype that I can actually see their faces and talk to them daily. I was pretty sick on Wednesday night and most of Thursday but my stomach is settling down now and I'm actually able to eat a bit.

Figuring out things I need for the apartment and how to get them has been my biggest challenge so far. Apparently, the stove needs cooking fuel to work. It has to be purchased and they bring something that looks like the propane tanks that we use for our barbecues. Unfortunately, I have not been able to do this yet because the phone instructions are all in Hebrew and I can't figure out which button to push on the phone to get to the right department! The same with the internet people. So, I've had to figure out how to eat without using a stove or oven. I've been pretty much relying on cheese sandwiches and some Special K.

One of my classmates whose husband was a rabbinical student last year has invited the newbies over for dinner after services at a reform synagogue this evening. It will be nice to finally put faces to the names that I have heard about and been speaking to online for the past few months. It is about an hour walk so I will have to see how well I do. My shins are killing me but I know it will get easier every day.

My old friend from Sherith Israel, David Bernstein, is coming over on Sunday to help me figure things out around here. He has lived here for many years and has said he will help me get things together. I will be counting the minutes until he arrives!

Shabbat Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment